Tuesday 24 December 2013

2013 - A Musical Review

Since the start of the year I've had the pleasure of having lots of beautiful music come my way and in this day and age where main stream music isn't so much about real talent but instead about £££s then music like this should be welcomed with open arms.

With the exception of March and June, 2013 has been a fantastic year for me in terms of discovering new music from virtually unheard of but nonetheless talented musicians so without further delay I shall begin.

In January my appreciation for Bristol Singer/Songwriter Natalie Holmes grew, I was already a fan but as my passion for music was on the increase I had to check out her second EP - The Simplest Things. Natalie's style is laid back acoustic performances with subtle instrumental arrangements.

The Simplest Things EP

February saw me purchase Secret Sky's Single The Secret, I have already heard this emotionally beautiful song on Youtube and liked it so much I had to add it to my collection. Steven's vocals are first class and hats off to his band, top marks for the music video which brings the lyrics to life.



April features the first mention of a musician I'm really into, her voice is like silk and her guitar skills are out of this world.  Ghost is a musical work of art from the elegant lyrics to the visual brilliance of the music video.



May sees us go down under for our next musical gem, which is in the form of the smooth voiced Aylin Eser. 

My favourite track from this band's Arrows of Desire EP is the uplifting number Dolls and Trolls, Aylin also brings the song to life through her emotive performance



July sees the debut of the talented singer/songwriter Lauren Aquilina's EP Sinners.

In addition to being a talented musician, Lauren also has a rather unique voice as showcased in her EP.



August graces another beautiful EP from Miss Holmes and you'll notice how much her talent has progressed as she continues to go from strength to strength.



September sees us head to the Scottish Highlands as our next offering is from Glaswegian songbird Holly Drummond. Holly's latest EP In The Dark features These Four Walls which allows us to enjoy Miss Drummond's gentle but elegant voice and her musical prowess - this song is perfect if you just want to chill out.



October includes two fantastic musical delights.

The first is the latest single Without Your Love from the incredibly talented Charlene Soraia, if you loved Ghost then let me tell you this tune is guaranteed to knock your socks off. She has really pulled out all the stops here to gift us with another melodic masterpiece.

Her vocals are really in a class of their own, if there is just one musician you go and see live then I strongly recommend it's Charlene.




October also saw the Angelic voiced Jasmine Thompson hit my musical radar, this girl has a great musical career ahead of her.

Whilst all of her EP Under The Willow Tree is a real joy to listen to, it's one track in particular I simply adore and that is the magnificent Run.




November once again takes us overseas except this time we're headed for Sweden , which is home of Soul Sensation Marie Dahlstrøm.

Marie's soulful tunes are simply sublime, this talented vocalist has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard.

My fave track on her recently released Gloom EP is What's It Gonna Be, as it's a real gem of a melody from its stunning vocals to its beautiful lyrics to its catchy instrumental hooks.

What's It Gonna Be

If this is anything to go by then I can't wait to check out her album, which has been scheduled for release in September 2014.


December sees me round up our musical trek through 2013 so I present you with Jazzy Jess King.

I was first introduced to her powerful vocals through the motivational Own It, which is track 1 of her recently released 5 track EP.



I hope you'll have as much time listening to this wonderfully performed music as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment