Thursday 2 January 2014

Jazzy Jess King wows us once again



Following on the release of Own It, Jess presents us with a wonderful 5 track EP, which also includes Own It.


https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/jess-king-ep/id771039665?uo=4


Anyway Whatever is a really catchy pop song with upbeat lyrics and a lovely instrumental track, Your Deep Dark Eyes is a more sombre track with its slower tempo and a beautiful piano track, Jess's voice here is as beautiful as ever, Where You Get Off opens with a powerful intro and Jess's Jazzy Vocals and the song then melds into another poptastic number and When It comes to us is another motivational melody like Own It.


Jess was very kind enough to spare a few minutes out of her very hectic schedule to answer a few questions for us.

How did you get into music in the first place?
Music was a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. My parents encouraged me to begin playing the piano at an early age and shortly after, I began playing the clarinet, trumpet and baritone horn. I was very active in our school’s various bands and musical theater productions. Meanwhile, one of my sisters and I loved harmonizing pop songs ‘a cappella’ from the radio.

Who were your musical influences?
I was exposed to a lot of jazz growing up, through my dad who is a big jazz fan. There was often Nina Simone, Charlie Parker, and Marianne Faithfull blaring from our living room stereo. Also, I was addicted to the Beatles.  However, I was as much influenced by pop radio (top 40).

What tunes are currently on repeat on your Mp3 Player?
At this moment, most of my ipod is full of new songs I’m working on. When I’m songwriting a lot, I tend not to listen to as much of other artists’ music because it helps me stay fresh and in my “zone”. I’m loving Frank Ocean’s music these days, as well as Pink and John Legend. I’m a sucker for a hot pop song, as long as it feels heartfelt.

What’s your life outside of music?
What makes me happiest is connecting with people positively, whether it’s through music or outside of that world. I’m passionate about living a healthy and active life (I’m a marathoner), and about the importance of having a positive outlook on life. Inspiring others to live with intention, follow their dreams and create their own happiness is very important to me.

If you could collaborate with any singer who would it be?
I would love to collaborate with John Legend, I think we could create something really great. 

What’s your favourite genre of music?
I’m a pop music lover first. I also love hip-hop, rock, jazz and classical music. For me it’s all about heart. What I’m listening to depends on the moment, my mood, the feeling at the time – I appreciate almost every genre. 

What’s next for you musically and are there plans for a UK Tour?
As I’ve just released my debut EP, I need to focus on promotion as well as completing the full album. Ideally, I’ll be on tour sometime soon and performing all over the place. I will keep you posted when I head to the UK!

What are your strengths and weaknesses?
I’m pretty emotionally intelligent, which is a huge strength when it comes to songwriting, performing and feeling music. I’m also a positive and resilient person, for which I’m thankful. I have a horrible habit of being overly apologetic, I’m working on it! J 

Where do you draw inspiration for your song lyrics?
My song lyrics are drawn from my personal life and from those close to me, with whom I feel a strong connection. I believe lyrics need to come from a place of emotionally honesty, so I only write what I personally feel and understand.

What is your guilty pleasure?
I hate to admit it, but occasionally during songwriting breaks, I watch a mindless reality tv show, which helps clear my mind and heart from the intensity of a session. Though it’s totally mindless, it’s a welcome break sometimes – I love songwriting, but it can definitely be emotionally draining at times – and to “shut off” during breaks is part of my process! 

Links:

New EP (self-titled, “Jess King”) Available on itunes: bit.ly/1bc3aa7

(Also on Spotify & Soundcloud)

Post By - Boulent Mustafa


No comments:

Post a Comment